The first church at Zsámbék was a small parish church of the village, as archeological findings show, built in the 11th century, with a cemetery around it. The second church, at the beginning of the 12th century, was built by the French originated Aynards as the private church of the family. The private church possibly was a parish church too, the inside was used as burial place of the Aynard family, the villagers were buried outside, around it. Altogether 463 graves were found during the archeologocal diggings in 1986.
The third church, which can be seen today, the Premonstratensian monastry, is late Romanesque, early Gothic styled and was also founded by the Aynards. Alike other private basilica style monastries in Hungary, (eg. Lébény, Ják, Türje) it also has three naves, separated with three pairs of pillars. The cloister was attached to the northern side of the church, including an ambulatora, a chapel and workshops.
As the Aynards became disloyal, in 1398 the king confiscated their properties and he granted Zsámbék to the Maróthis. King Matthias, following the extinction of the Maróthi family, took it back from the Premonstratensians and donated it to the Paulist order in 1477, who had the monastry rebuilt.
Following the Turkish rule, the homecomers and the newcomers used the chapel of the castle instead of the damaged church, until the new church was built in 1750. After an earthquake in 1763 the villagers started to take away the stones of the ruined monastry.
Possibly nothing would have remained of it, if Rómer Flóris and Henszlmann Imre wouldn't call attantion for saving the ruins. Conservation of the church took place in 1889, 1934 and in the 1980s.
Source: Dercsényi Dezső-Valter Ilona, Tájak-Korok-Múzeumok Kiskönyvtára, 184. szám (TKM Egyesület, 2005)